Protecting Whistleblowers Across Hawaii

Lawsuits protect employees who have been terminated or otherwise discriminated against at work because they protest either to their employer or to a government agency because their employer has violated the law.

What Is A Whistleblower?

A whistleblower is an employee who objects to or reports a violation of law by their employer. It is illegal for an employer to retaliate, but it often happens. These cases need to be dealt with quickly. You often need a lawyer experienced in employment law issues to protect you from illegal retaliation.

Our firm has successfully represented numerous whistleblowers. One client called Occupational Safety and Health Administration because they did not feel safe at work, another called Environmental Protection Agency because their employers were violating environmental laws, other clients were employees who objected because their employers were cheating their client or the government. We have also represented government employees who were adamant that their employer, even if it was the government itself, must follow the law.

Fighting On Behalf Of Whistleblowers

In 2008, our firm and attorney David Simons represented a whistleblower who had been wrongfully terminated by the City and County of Honolulu after 18 years of employment. We proved to the jury that our client was terminated because she had insisted that the City follow federal law.

The jury awarded our client $3,025,000, the largest jury award in any employment case ever in the state of Hawaii.

Other whistleblower issues can include making complaints about failure to pay overtime or proper wages, accounting or billing fraud or tax fraud, over charging of clients and "qui tam" cases that are a separate class of cases involving false charges to the state or federal government.

Contact Us Today

If you are experiencing any of these issues in your workplace, or suspect you have been the victim of a wrongful termination or unfair dismissal, your employer may be violating the law. Our firm would be glad to discuss your concerns with you. Call us at 808-536-3255.